Sunday, January 29, 2012

Organic Authority

I discovered a very cool site this week : organicauthority.com. It has all kinds of great information about nutrition, healthy life-style, sustainable living/decorating, etc.


This time of year I miss growing things. I think I get ready for spring long before it actually arrives here in West Michigan. Here's a tutorial on growing a kitchen garden in the winter, so you can enjoy fresh greens and herbs all year. My house is for sale, so I think I'd better wait until after the move to start one, but I think it sounds pretty easy. I also have two cats, so I'll have to think of a way to keep them out of it. Of course, growing pet grass is also an option, and it would add some greenery as well.

We also made some DELICIOUS cornbread this week. We used some of the blue cornmeal we got in the fall from the farmer's market. The recipe called for soaking the cornmeal in milk for five minutes, and when all of the ingredients have been added, you whip them with a mixer for 5 minutes. We always bake our cornbread in the cast iron skillet (as my Dad taught me - his family comes from the Tennessee and they don't mess around with their cornbread.) After half an hour in the oven, it turned out so sweet and light and moist! And the blue cornmeal gives it a cool look - almost blueberry-ish. We might even try adding some blueberries next time. We still have some left in the freezer from picking them this summer.

Hope you had a great weekend and wish you lots of good things for the upcoming week.

February is almost here! If you're looking for a unique valentine's day gift for your special someone, you could think about a CSA share. Sure, chocolates and roses and a night on the town in nice, but a CSA share would last all summer, won't spike your blood sugar, and will provide you will all kinds of romantic opportunities (going to pick up your weekly share together, cooking delicious meals, having friends and family over to enjoy your cooking, etc.) Reminds me of these awesome cards made by local artist Jenn Schaub. Maybe you could even contact her and buy one to write your CSA gift in.

No comments:

Post a Comment