Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Forks Over Knives

Good afternoon and Happy Valentine's Day! I have a quick moment before I have to head back to school to get some student artwork ready to submit to a show, but I wanted to share with you what farmer Josh and I have been talking about. We just watched Forks over Knives this weekend and really enjoyed it. This documentary gives so much good information about nutrition and has really challenged us to again reconsider what we eat and how it affects our bodies. I want to treat food as fuel, that will give me energy, help keep me from getting sick, give me nice skin and hair, and power my body through everyday activities and fun things like yoga class. The documentary argues that consuming animal products is closely linked to many health issues, such as cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, etc. A plant based diet (vegan) that includes mostly whole foods (rather than processed ones) has so many health benefits.

I don't know about you, but I love to get excited about healthy and positive goals and changes I'd like to make, but it can so easy to lose motivation because old habits die hard. I've been so busy lately and feeling stressed about my school work, my sewing work, planning a wedding (all good things) that I've been tired and run-down and not making the best food choices. I can tell it's time to rededicate myself to the plan. I need to to eat my fruits and veggies now more than ever, so I can get everything done that I need to and still have some fun at the end of the day.  If you're considering a CSA share, I think you'll find that the weekly pick up might give you the extra boost of discipline or encouragement you need to make a lifestyle change, or to maintain a healthy one you've already established.

Feel free to check out the Forks Over Knives site. There are lots of great resources and recipes ideas.  The Happy Healthy Life blog is also wonderful!  Here's a special valentine's recipe for pink cauliflower soup just for you! :) Visit the blog for lots of photos too!




Pink Cauliflower Soup 
vegan, makes 8 cups

1 head purple cauliflower, remove tough stem/leaves, break into pieces
1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
1 cup water from boiling veggies
1 cup plain soy creamer
1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
1 medium shallot, sliced
2 tsp olive oil for sauté
2-3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
spices:
3 dashes cayenne
pinch paprika
1/4 tsp lemon pepper spice
1/2 tsp pink salt (add more or less to taste)
(note: you can spice however you'd like. Garlic would be another nice accent to add.)

parsley & cauliflower florets as garnish

Directions:

1. Saute the sliced shallots in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until caramelized. Set aside.
2. Boil a pot of salted water. Add the cauliflower in pieces - and add the peeled/chopped potato. Cook until tender. Do not over cook! Drain water - reserve at least 1 cup. (Yes the water will be blue)
3. Add the cauliflower, potato, shallots (and oil from shallots), soy creamer, spices, maple and salt. Do not add the vinegar yet. Blend on medium in a Vitamix or food processor until smooth.
4. Add in the vinegar. You will watch the color intensify to a pinkish tone. Yay. Blend on low. Do a taste test and add in more pink salt if needed.
5. Your soup will be warm enough to serve right away. Or store in fridge and reheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment